The California Review’s fellowship program is a unique opportunity for driven young professionals and students to join us in building a lasting publication and a growing professional network. The California Review is seeking flexible, highly motivated, and entrepreneurial individuals whom we can help grow as policy professionals and writers, and who can help us create a strong platform for free discourse on pressing social, economic, and policy matters.
Though fellows are not eligible for stipends at this time, The California Review will work closely with its highest achieving fellows to amplify their writing and their careers through access to and advocacy for placement at leading public policy and media organizations. Our goal is to help you develop skills and experience that you will actually use throughout your career, so let us know what drives you, and feel free to bring any new ideas to the table!
Applicants should be prepared to submit their resume, answer a few essay prompts, and pass a rigorous interview process. While superior writing skills are a must, it is not required for applicants to have been previously published. Please direct all questions regarding our contributor program to Managing Editor Nico Zviovich at email@example.com. Applications, to be completed and submitted here, are processed on a rolling basis.
- Fellows commit to contribute at least 3 articles in the first 3 months of the program (more is encouraged), be featured on at least one episode of the CalRev podcast, and attend virtual Fellow happy hours and trainings.
- Ideal candidates are highly organized, reliable, prompt, detail-oriented and self-motivated.
- A passion for writing is a must!
- Though our fellowship program is aimed at young professionals and motivated college students, candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
- Candidates should have reliable internet access, and be flexible to work virtually.
- Ideal candidates will present themselves and The California Review with courtesy and professionalism.
For any questions please contact our Managing Editor, Nico Zviovich at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Cal Rev Fellowship Program” as the email subject for questions regarding the program. We look forward to reading your applications and can’t wait to have you on board!
Step 1: Submit your Resume
Step 2: Submit Headshot 200×200 px
Step 3: Answer the following application questions:
- What social issue(s) do you hope to impact through your career, and how? (300 words or less)
- Describe a social, economic, or policy issue on which you have shifted your stance. What changed your mind? (400 words or less)
- List and describe up to three projects (i.e. articles, essays, videos and/or podcasts) you would want to take on as a CalRev fellow.
Step 4: Submit a writing sample that best shows your writing style and voice. Whether or not the piece has been published, we want to see something that you think best demonstrates what kind of writer you are.